14 avr. 2009

Interview: Picture Pretty || ENGLISH VERSION


Picture Pretty on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

1. How did Picture Pretty start?
Joseph: I was demoing songs for a while by myself and, while Samuel and I had grown up together, he and I didn't talk much about music and so I didn't think he'd be very interested in anything I'd put together. It turned out that once I'd shown him some of the first songs I had done he liked them enough to want to learn to play them, and then we started writing together.
Samuel: Yeah, Joe was doing some music and then one previous guitarist left him or something. Anyway i said that I would stand in untill he found someone else but we had one rehearsal and both thought the set up was really good and we already knew each other so well, it just went from there.


2. Why did you choose the name Picture Pretty?
Joseph: Picture Pretty is a reference to Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. This is the book that kindled my obsession with the concept of youth, too. It's my favorite novel.
Samuel: I joined after the name had been chosen but The Picture of Dorian Gray is a favorite of mine as well. I recommended the book to Joseph, actually.


3. Who is doing what in the band?
Joseph: I sing.
Samuel: I play the guitar and the bass, make a lot of noise.


4. Isn't it harder to be only two in the band?
Joseph: I don't think so because technology has advanced in such a way that it's possible to compensate for additional instruments, like drums for example. I wouldn't want to include any more people, to be honest; I think we work well by ourselves.
Samuel: I would say it's the complete opposite and much easier to organize than having to fit practices and shows in with three or four people, when there’s just two Joseph can just call me and say 'tomorrow?' and I'll say 'yeah' and we'll do it.


5. Do you think there's a sort of rage in your music?
Joseph: Sure, the nature of our music is pretty aggressive. There's a lot more humour in my words than people seem to think because they're sung in such a way that suggests something more negative but we draw positive things from negative experiences. Like music, for instance.
Samuel: We're quite reserved personally, so music works as a vent for any inner rage...


6. Plans for the future?
Joseph: Just to do more shows and keep Picture Pretty going for as long as it needs to. We're looking to do a single in the near future but we can't say much more than that; it's early days yet.
Samuel: I'd say to get more involved in the city.


7. What do you think about the new London scene, do you think you're part of it?
Joseph: I think it's good that something new and exciting is coming through so close to where we live; I think we're on the edge of that whole thing but that's good because it means we have a clear perspective of what's going on. We do like playing in the city, though, there are some great clubs there.
Samuel: It's just coming along and we've only just started out. I wouldn't say we were so much part of it, not yet.


8. The best gig you ever did?
Joseph: We haven't been playing long but I think in terms of memorability our first show was the best. We were kicked offstage after one song for being too loud and breaking the venue's equipment and it also showed us what our strengths and weaknesses were as a duo.
Samuel: I'd say the same, it was the most memorable.


9. Describe your music in two words.
Joseph: Frenetic noise.
Samuel: Not serene.


10. Do you feel more electric or psychedelic?
Joseph: I definitely feel more electric but there's nothing wrong with a bit of psychedelia.
Samuel: Psychedelic.


11. Do you know any French?
Joseph: "Il pète plus haut que son cul", I think that means "He farts higher than his arse" which is quite a funny expression. Apart from that, no.
Samuel: I know... 'Je voudrais un chat por manger' and Lady Marmalade, so nothing useful.


12. Do you want to add something?
Joseph: Check out our music online and make friends with us, we're quite nice really.

Aucun commentaire: